Thursday 16 October 2014

5 things about CouchSurfing you should know

As a newbie traveler and fresh Erasmus student, I have been using Couchsurfing for 6 times so far and each time has been memorable and rewarding experiences. Yet not all of the journeys I have been through was as awesome as said by all famous bloggers and writers you have known. There were definitely boring, dramatic and even shocking times that I wished I have never experienced. The last trip to Belgium was a memorable example, which was why I decided to write this post about Couchsurfing. And I would definitely not forget to include the photos of such delicious food I had in Belgium with the CS hosts, and my travel-mates during this special trip. 

Mussels cooked by CS host in Brussels

1. Give time and patience to write and read the profiles

Write a rather long and detailed profile is always better than keeping it too short especially if you do not have much travelling or CS experiences. There might be things you need your host to know about your eating habit, religion or special requirement, which they may accept or dislike. Write to them directly in the message if this is important to you. But normally I just send a friendly request without any special requirement as I am quite easy-going person.

Read your potential host's profile carefully. Going through the reference is of course one of the most important thing. People always focus on the negative reference apparently, but read them carefully as not all of them are true. Some host may expect your cooking, some small gift or even was looking for sex! 

2. Prepare a good request to send at the right timing, and don't give up at the last minute!

Send your request as soon as you know which day you are going to arrive at the city you are travelling to. Show them that you have read your profile personally in the request and DO NOT COPY PASTE! I and my travel-friend did not plan our accommodation very well as we were paying too much focus on the transportation. On the last day before departing we still do not have place to stay in Antwerp and was gonna take a hostel as many hosts declined to us saying that they would be busy or already had other surfers. Fortunately at midnight we got accepted by a nice couple living 30 mins walking away from the city center. We could not be happier, and got even more acceptances when we arrive the city, as well as invitation to meet up and show us around the city by other CS users. 

Our tour-guide in Brussels contacting us on CS came though it was rainning 
3. Most hosts are amazing and friendly - so expect to be surprised

As mentioned, I was luckily hosted by a Belgian couple in Antwerp - Miek and Robin with their little 2-year-old daughter. It was a long tiring walk from the center with  our luggage to finally reach their place, which was worth it definitely! They were artistic people especially Robin who is a musician, warmly welcoming us with tea and dinner almost ready. We spent the whole night talking about our backgrounds, different cultures, places and experiences we have been through, music, and arts. They showed me things about the city I have never known before. This was one of the best thing of travelling - interacting with local people and learn from them!




The next day was almost even better! We woke up at late morning. I played with their daughter Lily who was adorable and very 'sociable' with surfers.  We went to have breakfast with cakes and hot chocolates in a small coffee place in the street corner near their house. Here I had the best hot chocolate ever in my life in an exotic way: hot milk poured from a pot mixed with chocolate candies! 

4. Be humble, respected and don't forget to bring a small gift

Though hosts are mostly open-minded and friendly, don't show them the bad sides of yours. And some hosts may say they do not expect any gift but everyone of them would be happy if you bring along a small gift from your home country to show some hospitality. And remember  not to eat their food as if their fridge is yours! Buy something and cook for them if you have tim, but never promise to do so because you never know if what would happen when travelling!

5. Expect the worst, hope for the best

CS host in Brussels had dinner with us and offered Belgian beer.
They were nice in the beginning but very impolite to me on the last day.

The last day in Brussels I had the worst CS experience ever. I got lost alone in the middle of nowhere in Brussels, was panic and found a random girl on the street, desperate asking for a phone call to a taxi as my phone was out of battery. She sent me to other 2 ladies who took me to a big station nearby where I can find taxi. Here I went with a Belgian girl who do not speak English at all but helped me talked to a driver. I was lucky that he agreed to drive me with lower price, and he could speak English. As soon as I arrive the host, they started to complain and criticise that I could not cook for them as promised and thus they had to wait for so long. I was speechless, waiting for my travel-mate to come  back! At some point I felt mentally attacked and isolated, which I could not imagine beforehand considering the first awesome nights we spent with the hosts. We were not communicating properly at some point as I wanted to leave to another host's place but forgot to inform them in the morning, which was properly one reason why everything went crazy. I could never forget the sarcastic laughter and evil look they give to me at that night...

Would I stop using Couchsurfing for travelling and rent hostels/hotels since then? The answer is definitely NO! I would want to continue my adventures filled with experiences made by local people everywhere in this world, though now a break is definitely needed. Belgium is not that sweet after all those chocolates, waffles and fruity beers I had :)

Our CS host rode us on his boat in Rotterdam


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet stories on my way eating around Europe