Friday 22 August 2014

My adventurous, warm and yummy Szczecin

There are two kinds of happiness. One you can feel it immediately at that moment, the other happens when you memorise it.



I am now both happy and blessed thinking about the life-changing experiences I had in Poland. I can still remember the excitement, curiosity and adrenaline running in my head and body when stepping into that bus driving me from Berlin to Szczecin.  I had to run around the whole afternoon to visit the over-whelming gorgeous Berlin, reached the station 15 minutes before the bus’s departure time and got panic because of not seeing any bus at the gate. Literally I had to follow that 'Follow me' bus to find it later, and to run or walk like crazy most of the time during my adventure in Poland.

60 days – long but short time

Polish people are extremely warm and helpful despite they do not speak much English in Szczecin. The funny moments arrive when it comes to using body language, any kind of postures, gestures and tools we had around us to communicate. But most of the time I received help from young Polish friends here, who made me felt belonging as if I was in my hometown sometimes.

I had enough time to see the whole city, which is the 3rd largest in Poland but turns out to be rather small because the best things focus in only 1 or 2 areas: city center Brama Portowa or Waly Chrobrego where all the nicest restaurants and views locate.

Waly Chrobrego
Where you can find the 4 most famous restaurants in the area Colvmbvs, Colorado, Porto Grande, and Chrobry
View of the city from Cafe 22


Another view of the city above Waly Chrobrego


One of the gates in Brama Portowa

Much as I like to see new things and places, I know from my heart that I always prefer doing than seeing. One of the best parts of the trip is I got lots of chances to try things I had never done or thought of before. Here they are:

Going to a Sails Festivals

One of the best features of the city is undoubtedly the river, where locate the biggest boats ever I had seen during sails festivals. There were also music concerts, amusement area, food stands, activities for kids, bungee jumping and so on during the whole week.



Kayaking

Living in Helsinki city where there is full of lakes and rivers, I never tried kayak though just because I never had chance to and prices are too high in Finland that sometimes I simply think partying or having a coffee with my friends would be cheaper options to have fun.


Photos by Kajakiem Po Odrze
Squash

Though I used to go to the gym mostly every week, I never thought I am yet a sporty and physically strong person compared to my friends who either are bed addicts in the winter or food lovers who refuse diets, until I do squash. If find it fun but difficult. The best thing back then was to have sauna afterwards. I am a sauna lover so it was like heaven for me to get burnt in there after such a long time living without sauna and Finnish shower.



Tarzania

Another sport activity, which truly made the adventure of mine in Poland, was Tarzania. I love and fear at the same time the feeling of jumping from meters high above. At that moment I felt as if I was going to die should I fail grabbing the net above me with all 4 legs and arms, which I did manage to afterwards of course. The most amazing thing of Tarzania was to slide from one tree to another, which felt like flying!




Watch out! You may hit the tree or fail to stop yourself in the end of the slide.

Eat in restaurants for free

We had lots of fancy, international and even homemade food during the time in Szczecin, which you can find in this separate POST. I am a big fan of cuisine inspite of my rather skinny body so I just have to write a single one about dishes from each and every country I went to. We got most of the meals during working days for free because of the origin of our project is to visit restaurants, sightseeing and events and then sharing reviews and thoughts about our travel experiences.

My colleagues in one dumpling restaurant
You can find my blog work in Szczecin here!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet stories on my way eating around Europe